- Sport levelBeginner
- Spoken languagesEnglish, French
- Duration2 days
- Opening seasons:
Go on a 2-day snowshoeing excursion to discover the mountain around Chamonix!
The snowy mountain is a world of fragile & ephemeral beauty, with a very particular atmosphere. Progressing along a ridge, making your trails in the snow, climbing a summit... Snowshoeing is accessible to all and opens up countless opportunities to travel the winter mountains.
Xavier Gadat is your mountain guide offering you a 2-day snowshoeing excursion during which he will teach you some techniques on different types of snowy terrain: snow conditions, use of your avalanche transceiver, shovel, and probe...
In the heart of the Mont Blanc massif, depending on the conditions, you will discover 2 peaks or belvederes around Chamonix... You'll be amazed by the breathtaking panoramas surrounding you!
In the evening, you will enjoy a well-deserved rest in a comfortable cottage in the valley.
→ You are automatically refunded for the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 48 and 96 hours prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a 50% refund
3) 48 hours or later are what we call last-minute cancellations
→ No refund will be made
- Level: On average: walk of 4/5 hours per day on a groomed trail and/or untracked snow.
Around 800m of elevation gain.
- In your backpack: You carry your personal belongings, the picnic of the day (provided) and the security equipment: avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe (provided).
- Accommodation: Lodge in the Chamonix-Les Houches valley, shared rooms, shared bathrooms &
- Transfers: The roundtrip transfer from Chamonix to the starting point of the hikes is provided by the pro by car or minibus.
Indicative program, other loops are possible depending on the weather and mountain conditions: Mt Truc and the chalets of Miage, Croise Baulet, Ayères...
- Day 1 "Chalets de la Loriaz": Meeting at Chamonix train station at 9 am. Transfer to the small village of Buet, starting point of the excursion. After the distribution of the snowshoes, poles, picnics, & checking the equipment, you start the climb between the spruces. As you gain height, you enjoy beautiful views of the glaciers of Tour, Argentière and the peaks of the Drus, Aiguille Verte and Aiguilles de Chamonix. Picnic on the pastures at more than 2000m of altitude, under the slopes of the Pointe de la Terrasse and the Aiguille de la Loriaz, before descending to the village of Buet. You spend the night in a cottage in the Chamonix valley (single beds, shared rooms).
Ascending elevation: approx. 700m
- Day 2 "Chalets de Chailloux": The next day, you go towards Aiguillette des Houches to Plan Benoi and the chalets of Chailloux (1,922-metre altitude). Another beautiful lookout facing the massif... if the conditions are good and the group is motivated, you can try the summit of the Aiguillette des Houches. Descent by the same route. Back in the valley at around 4 pm.
Ascending elevation: approx. 600m
For the safety of the group, depending on the weather and snow conditions or the physical condition of the participants, this programme can be modified.Activity requirements
Please bring the following equipment:
- Good, warm and waterproof hiking shoes, adapted to the activity
- Pair of socks
- Boxer shorts / hot pantyhose
- Mountain trousers
- Pair of gaiters if your mountain pants don't have any
- Breathable technical t-shirt (no cotton!)
- Warm fleece jacket
- Compact down jacket
- Waterproof & breathable jacket, "gore-tex" type
- Beanie or Buff-type choker
- Pair of gloves or mittens
- Good sunglasses (protection class 3 or 4)
- Gourde or thermos (1l or 1,5l)
- Pocket knife, 1 plastic cover (Spork type)
- Food for the 2 days: some cereal bars, dried fruit...
- A bag sheet for the night in the lodge (only the blankets are provided on the spot)
- Personal pharmacy kit (incl. anti-blister dressing, Elastoplast, sunscreen)
- Toilet paper
- Mountaineering or ski touring backpack, suitable for carrying back snowshoes (35l or 40l)
- On-bag and plastic bags to keep your belongings inside the backpack dry
- Some cash
The departure is guaranteed from 2 participants.
The Assistance and Repatriation insurance covering the search and rescue costs is highly recommended. Be sure to check that you are perfectly insured! Your guide can provide you with an insurance via his partner Impact Multisports (from €3/day).
- Expert mountain guide
- Snowshoes, poles, avalanche transceiver, shovel, and probe
- Chamonix roundtrip transfer
- Accommodoation in a lodge
- Breakfast & dinner taken in the lodge (excl. drinks)
- Picnics for days 1 & 2
- See list above