- Sport levelAdvanced
- Spoken languagesEnglish, French
- Duration2 days
- Opening seasons:
Go on a hiking excursion and experience a night inside an igloo in Margériaz in the Bauges Mountains (Massif des Bauges) with a qualified guide.
The igloo expedition is reserved for sporty people who wish to live an extraordinary experience under the snow.
Between snowshoeing and fondue tasting (a typical French dish of the mountains!), you will learn the basic techniques to build an igloo.
The most successful builders and the least sensitive to the cold will be able to sleep under their igloo. Otherwise, a "hard" igloo will allow you to enjoy the expedition regardless of the conditions.
Programme from Saturday to Sunday:
- You start the expedition at 1:30/2pm
- You go for 1 to 2 hours of snowshoeing with your guide.
- During 2 hours, you build your igloo.
- You spend the evening enjoying a good fondue (starter, fondue, dessert, wine and drinks).
- You spend the night under the snow.
- The next day you have breakfast (coffee/tea/drinks, brioches) and then go for another 2-hour snowshoeing excursion.
- You finish your expedition at around 11am.
→ You are automatically refunded for the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 4 and 10 days prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a 50% refund
3) 4 days or later, prior to the agreed activity starting date, is considered last-minute cancellations
→ No refund will be made
Go for an exceptional weekend starting with a meeting on Saturday at 1:30pm. You will begin with a snowshoeing excursion before building igloos with the snow. You then eat a fondue under a shelter with the guide and spend the night under the igloos.
From Annecy by car, follow "évrier". To "évrier" at the roundabout, take on the right "route du col de Leschaux" over 18 km. Then follow Lescheraines, cross Lescheraines and turn right at the exit of the village toward "Aillon le Jeune". Before reaching the village on the main straight, turn right towards "Station Margériaz". After going through the bends and before arriving at "Station de Margériaz", you will park in the car park on the left in the last hairpin turn on the right called "Place Baban".
Travelling time: 50 min
The meeting place is only accessible by car. Do not forget to take an equipment adapted to the season (especially snow tires and/or chains).Special terms
You will need the following equipment for the expedition:
- Backpack for carrying food, ideally 40 liters
- Winter sportswear, preferably multilayers, hats, and gloves
- Snow shoes (no moon boots)
- Headlamp, survival blanket, personal belongings
- Food (cereal bars, dried fruits) and water
- Some big bean bags to keep your stuff dry
- Snowshoes + trekking poles
- Blankets + foam pads
- Gas stove + fondue pot
- Dinner (fondue, bread, wine, drinks, dessert)
- Saws + shovels
- Coffee and breakfast
- Tarpaulins for the insulation on the ground
- See list above