- Sport levelBeginner
- Spoken languagesFrench, English
- Duration1 half day
- Opening seasons:
Tahiti Iti Diving organizes every day from August to November half-day excursions to try to find and observe majestic humpback whales around the island!
Every year, from August to November, humpback whales offer you unforgettable moments in French Polynesia. Tahiti is a privileged place where whales breed and give birth.
Tahiti Iti Diving organizes every day during this period of the year half-day excursions trying to find these majestic marine mammals, observe them and according to their mood, accompany them in the water, in the best conditions of respect and safety.
The tracking phase can be long, as humpback whales move around constantly. But the whale calves are never far from the reef and channels, making it easier to find them. The breath of adults can be spotted for miles when sea conditions are good and this is how whales are located. As you get closer, you try to be as discreet as possible so as not to disturb them. Then whale watching can start. Little by little, whales become accustomed to your presence and may let you go in the water. You try to get closer by swimming gently towards them while respecting a safe distance.
During the whale watching, you will have the chance to meet calves with their mothers, groups of juveniles or adults, or singing males during the breeding season. Their songs animate the seabed, and can be heard miles away. The dive center also has hydrophones that will allow you to hear them without getting wet!
→ You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 4 and 10 days prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement
3) 4 days or later, prior to the agreed activity starting date, is considered last-minute cancellations
→ No reimbursements will be effected
- Meet at the Tahiti Iti Diving Dive Center at 11:30
- Distribution of snorkeling equipment (in case launching is possible)
- A briefing on the safety on board, the biology, and the approach of the whales will be given to you at the beginning and throughout the boat ride.
- Tea and snacks will be available on board.
- As soon as you exit the Phaëton Bay, you will go along the coast with its spectacular blue and green landscapes looking for the cetaceans.
- Whale watching and explanations on this incredible marine mammal
- Return around 3 pm at the bay of Phaëton
Minors must be accompanied by an adult.Special terms
Snorkeling with whales is not guaranteed and depends on their behaviour, the safety conditions, and respect of the environment.
- Snorkeling gear
- Swimming costume
- Picnic lunch
- Bottled water