- Sport levelAdvanced
- Spoken languagesEnglish, Icelandic
- Duration4-7 days
- Opening seasons:
Scandic Mountain Guides offer ski touring trips in Iceland from 17th March until 30th May. The ski area they use in Iceland, the Troll Peninsula, has endless options to offer for ski touring, where you can ski from the mountain peak all the way to the Arctic Ocean.
The area is vast and largely unexplored. The skiing slopes are truly unique, with a panorama view of amazing slopes waiting for their first descents. The terrain has a variety of skiable areas, from steep couloirs to easy and moderate slopes. It is also possible to cross over to the next fjords and ski down to the coastline or into the small valleys, where you will find untouched snow and probably make the first descent in that run.
Prepare for different skiing conditions; fresh powder skiing, skiing in the stable spring corn snow, which is perfect for steep and extreme skiing and more exposed lines than you normally find where avalanches are more likely. The vertical drop is up to 1.500 metres or approximately 4.500 feet in the unbelievable Arctic mountains.
After a great day in the mountains, it is possible to bathe in Iceland's comfortable, hot natural baths in an unforgettable environment or go to the great swimming pools that are located close to the Lodge. It is also possible to go on the private boat after the ski tour, where you'll try to find some whales to watch swimming around. You can even try sea angling to catch some cod.
→ You are automatically refunded for the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 90 and 60 days prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a refund of 75% of your total booking value
3) Cancellation between 60 and 30 days prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a refund of 50% of your total booking value
4) Cancellation after 30 days prior to the agreed activity starting date → No refund will be made
Scandic Mountain Guides is located in Ólafsfjörður Valley that is known for its snowy and beautiful winters. The town Ólafsfjörður is one of the northernmost towns in Iceland, surrounded by towering mountains on all sides. The Scandic Lodge is 7 km into the Valley from the town.
The Scandic Mountain Guides Lodge is located in Hóll, a farm in Ólafsfjörður. The Logde is surrounded by towering mountains on all sides where you can, for the last run of the day, ski right down to it.
The Lodge consists of the dining area, where the chef prepares top notch food for the guests. You will enjoy gourmet meals based on fresh Icelandic foods, such as goose, lamb and arctic char. After an active day in the mountains, it is ideal to sit down in the living room and unwind with a glass of wine or a pint of an Icelandic beer. In the Lodge there are four double rooms for eight guests.
The trips are scheduled for:
- 17th March to 21st March
- 22nd March to 26th March
- 27th March to 31st March
- 1st April 1st to 5th April
- 6th April to 10th April
- 11th April to 15th April
- 16th April to 20th April
- 21st April to 25th April
- 26th April to 30th April
- 1st May to 5th May
- 6th May to 10th May
- 11th May to 15th May
- 16th May to 20th May
- 21st May to 25th May
- 26th May to 30th May
Located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, Iceland is close to both Europe and North America. Average flight times are between 3-4 hours from most Western European cities and 5-7 hours from North America. All international flights to Iceland go through Keflavik International Airport located just outside of Reykjavik. The two main airlines that fly direct to Iceland are Icelandair and WOW Airlines. However, other airlines, such as Easy jet, SAS and Delta also fly into Iceland.
You can book your domestic flight from Reykjavik Airport to Akureyri Airport with Air Iceland. There are five flights daily between Reykjavik and Akureyri and you will find all information about flight times on www.airiceland.is
Scandic staff will pick you up in Akureyri Domestic Airport and drive you to the lodge. This drive will take approximately one hour.
If you choose to drive from Keflavik International Airport to the Scandic Lodge, the drive will take approximately 5 hours, which is why it's recommended for you to take the short domestic flight to Akureyri Airport.
Please contact the team in advance if you wish to rent skis, skins or ski poles. They offer high quality K2 gear for guests to rent at a low price.
- 5 days guided ski touring
- 5 nights’ accommodation at Hóll Lodge
- All meals; breakfast, lunch, and dinners
- Guide services with professional mountain guides
- Safety and avalanche rescue training
- All ground transportation in the skiing area and pickup/drop off at Akureyri Airport
- International and domestic airfares
- Personal insurance
- Wine and spirits
- Equipment rental
- A pair of ski boots that fit well (not brand new)
- Water proof or water resistant outerwear (something that you can put layers underneath)
- 2 pairs of ski gloves or mittens
- 2 hats (one for colder days and one for warmer days)
- Synthetic long underwear (tops and bottoms)
- A backpack 30-50 liters
- Water bottles
- Ski socks (2-3 pairs)
- A windbreaker vest or a jacket (ideal for lunchtime)
- A light fleece jacket (ideal for layering)
- Sunscreen and lip protection
- Sunglasses and ski goggles
- Skis/split board with touring bindings, skins and ski poles
- An avalanche transceiver, a probe and a shovel
- A camera/video/GoPro
- A compact down jacket
- Casual clothes to wear during the stay at the Lodge