- Sport levelBeginner
- Spoken languagesEnglish, Icelandic
- Duration1 half day
- Opening seasons:
The Silfra Rift is one of the best scuba diving spots on Earth, if you're not a certified diver don't worry! You'll be able to experience water at its clearest on a snorkeling excursion in Silfra!
Dive.is' snorkeling excursion in Silfra is designed for everyone. You just need to feel comfortable in the water and be able to swim. Being ready for a fantastic snorkeling adventure is a plus. This amazing outing in Silfra will allow you to swim between two continental plates. Get ready to be surrounded by the astonishing clarity of the water and the breathtaking colors of this underwater world.
If you are staying at Reykjavík Dive.is can pick you up at your accommodation, or you can choose to meet them at Thingvellir National Park. If you decide to ride with them, on the one-hour drive, your guide will share all the background info. about the unique geology and cultural history of Silfra as well as the surrounding area of the Thingvellir, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Once you've reached Silfra, your guide will provide you with all the equipment you will need: a wetsuit, a mask, and breathing tube. Your guide will then explain to you how to use this equipment and how to stay safe and comfortable during your 30 to 40-minute snorkeling outing in the Silfra Hall, Silfra Cathedral, and Silfra Lagoon.
Snorkeling in Silfra will allow you to explore the four main parts of Silfra. Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section is where the continental plates are so close you can almost touch them! The fissure then widens into Silfra Hall where the full spectrum of Silfra’s colors and clarity become clearer. If you take some time to find the perfect angel, you'll be able to see all the way to Thingvallavatn, over 150 m. away. Further on, and almost reaching Thingvallavatn, you'll enter the Silfra Cathedral as the depth reaches 23 m.! The amazing outing will have its end at Silfra Lagoon.
Dive.is recommends you have a drink of the Silfra water while you are snorkeling, you might never be able to drink water so pure again!
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement
- sign a liability release form at the start of the tour
- be 1.5 m. - 2 m. tall
- be 45 kg. - 120 kg.
- be minimum 14 years of age on the year
- be comfortable in water and be able to swim
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English or have a translator available at all times during the tour
- not be pregnant
The activity last for approximately 5 hours from the time of pick up in Reykjavík to the time of drop off. If you choose to drive yourself to Silfra, you can expect to be with Dive.is for about 3 hours.
You will be in the water for around 30-40 minutes and the remaining time is needed for getting in and out of the gear.
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling trip
- Entrance fee for Silfra (ISK 1.000)
- Transportation (to be arranged)
- Photos (ISK 2990)
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
- Bottled water and snacks