- Sport levelBeginner
- Spoken languagesIcelandic, English
- Duration1 half day
On this West Glacial River trip, fun and scenery swirl around you to deliver an unforgettable rafting adventure in Iceland!
Featuring steaming riverside hot springs and magnificent canyon landscapes, this gentle rafting tour offers everyone from the novice rafter to the whole family an opportunity to pick up a paddle and explore Iceland's stunning river wilderness.
As you navigate the gentle rapids through the twists and bends of this towering gorge, enjoy the opportunity to sample some riverside hot cocoa from nature’s kettle! You may even find yourself in a friendly water fight, bathing in the invigorating glacial runoff, or simply kicking back and letting your cares drift away with the meandering waters!
Even though this excursion is called a 'family' trip, it's not just for grandpa and the little guys! It's a fun and relatively gentle trip that is suitable for everybody out there.
You'll be exposed to: straightforward rapids with wide, clear channels which are evident without scouting. Occasional manoeuvring may be required, but rocks and medium-sized waves are easily avoided by trained paddlers.
A family trip: 3-4 hours
→ You are automatically refunded for the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 48 and 96 hours prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a 50% refund
3) 48 hours or later are what we call last-minute cancellations
→ No refund will be made
Be prepared to get wet! All clothing worn on the river should be of a material that keeps its insulating ability when wet. It is highly recommended to wear fleece, wool, and synthetic materials. DO NOT WEAR COTTON, so NOT your jeans and your favourite hoodie!Special terms
The Viking Rafting base at Hafgrímsstaðir is located on Road #752, 15km from its junction with Hwy #1 at the west end of Varmahlíð. Simply follow Road #752 up the valley for about 10-15 minutes until you see us on the left-hand side of the road!
- All necessary rafting gear
- Transportation to the river
- Riverside refreshments: hot drinks for West River trips
- Thermal underwear/base layers
- Warm fleece top/wool sweater
- Fleece pants/extra long johns
- Thick wool socks/hiking socks (at least 1 pair)
- Dry clothes for after the river