- Sport levelIntermediate
- Spoken languagesSpanish, English, French
- Duration3 hrs
- Opening seasons:
Don’t let the name frighten you! As the largest shark in the sea, these gentle giants are peaceful creatures who feed on plankton.
Jump in and swim with whale sharks from June to mid-September. Whale sharks are gentle creatures that live in depths of 250m/800ft below sea level most of the year.
In the summer months, they come to the Mexican waters to feed on the plankton, microscopic plant matter. The plankton is in large concentrations off the shores, they come to take in the sun on the surface of the ocean, which has the whale sharks coming back year after year to feed.
Sightings start to happen in early June - don't miss the opportunity to meet these amazing creatures.
- Excursions start at the dive shop in the morning where after an introduction you'll depart for approximately an hour's ride to the location where whale sharks are expected to be at.
- Once you get there, two people at the time with one guide are allowed to jump in the water for an up-close encounter with this gentle giant.
- The group will take turns, so that everyone has more than one chance to this unique experience.
- Once you return to Isla Mujeres, you will be able to take a dip at Playa Norte while the captain prepares fresh fish ceviche for you. With some beers or soda and lunch you are ready for your return to the island.
→ You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 48 and 96 hours prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement
3) 48 hours or later are what we call last-minute cancellations
→ No reimbursements will be effected
Expedition: Snorkelling with whale sharks and mantas
Location: North-east of Isla Mujeres and Cancun, Mexico
Participants required: 1- 10
Age of children: 15+
Experience required: Snorkeling skills
Availability: June to September, departures daily
The price varies depending on the number of people booking:
1 - 2 people: €125 pp.
3 - 5 people: €115 pp.
6 - 10 people: €100 pp.
8am: Meet at the Mexico Divers shop on Isla Mujeres
8:30am: Briefing and transport to the boat
9am: Boat departure and whale shark search
12pm: Lunch on board the boat
2pm: Return to Isla Mujeres
This activity is not recommended for pregnant women and weak swimmers.Special terms
Whale shark and stingray sightings may be challenging so there is no guarantee on observations – All water based activities are at the mercy of sea and weather conditions as well as the eating patterns of wild animals. Although there is an 80% success rate and all resources are implemented to accomplish the activity, it is highly recommend booking at least two days of activities for higher success rates.
- Full set snorkeling gear
- Bilingual guide
- Coffee in the morning
- Bottled water and sodas
- Fruit and sandwiches
- Ceviche lunch
- Bring sunscreen
- Long-sleeved shirt