- Sport levelBeginner
- Spoken languagesEnglish, Italian
- Durationfrom 3 hrs to 4 hrs
- Opening seasons:
Trace Mount Etna's fiery history back to the dawn of time with an incredible hike to its craters! Choose from hiking the north face (2,100m) or the south face (2,900m) of Europe's largest active volcano!
Making its mark on the landscape 50,000 years ago, Mount Etna has cast a long shadow over Sicily since before the dawn of man. Follow its mythical smoke trail up to dormant craters with expert volcanologists!
In a constant state of activity, Mount Etna has an almost magnetic quality - drawing adventure tourists and mountaineers to its smokey rim in search of fiery thrills and heart-stopping eruptions.
Today, the 4,000m mountain rumbles steadily, its summit burning brightly from mini craters that touch the sky.
Choose from two unique trekking tours up the north and south faces of Etna with custodians of this exciting geological landmark. You'll get to join group tours that provide an in-depth look at its tectonic legacy, and what Etna might have in store for the future...
5km Northern Etna hike (2,100m):
- Trek from Piano Provenzana to the fracture resulting in the October 27, 2002 eruption - one of the most explosive flank eruptions in the past 150 years.
- Visit the dormant craters of the September 1911 and June 1923 eruptions.
- Follow the pyroclastic cones to Hornitos and Ponte di Ferro at 2,100m.
6km Southern Etna hike (2,900m):
- Nicolosi Etna Sud cable car up to 2,500 meters.
- Trek to the Cratere del Laghetto summit resulting in the 2001 eruption.
- Visit Cisternazza, formed during the eruptive activity of 1792 which threatened the village of Zafferana Etnea.
- Reach the Valle del Bove for amazing panoramic views.
- Pass the Barbagallo Craters before descending via the cable car.
→ You are automatically reimbursed the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 30 and 10 days prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement
3) 10 days or later, prior to the agreed activity starting date, are considered last-minute cancellations
→ No reimbursements will be effected