Cape Town, also known as The Mother City, is home to many natural wonders like the Table Mountain, golden sand beaches and beautiful vineyards.
Surrounded by rugged dramatic mountains, Cape Town is a holidaymaker’s dream location. As the second most populous city after Johannesburg, Cape Town is the most popular international tourist destination not only in South Africa, but Africa as a whole.
It’s easy to see why! The city is a combination of stunning natural backdrops in a modern setting that really does have something for everyone.
And when it comes to extreme sports you won’t find a better destination.
The warm sunny climate and powder sand beaches attract surfers and kiters from around the globe. Cape Town is THE spot for surfing and kitesurfing. It houses the famous kite competition, Red Bull King of the Air, one of the most impressive in Big Air (freestyle).
Cape Town is amongst the best kitesurfing holiday destinations, simply because it ticks all the boxes. The wind conditions in and around Cape Town are very reliable from November to February (20-30 knots). The coastline offers fantastic kitesurfing conditions and breath-taking panoramas. You can choose between powerful waves and flat waters. Advanced riders will be stoked to play in the challenging waves of the bay, from Sunset Beach to Blouberg Beach (approximately a mile long). The best spots in the bay are Dolphin Beach, Table View and Kitebeach. Beginners and freestylers will be amazed by kiteboarding in Langebaan, the flat water Mecca of South Africa. This is one South African kiteboarding destination that simply cannot be missed!
Due to the city's unique geography, it is possible to visit several different beaches in the same day, each with a different setting and atmosphere. Some of the city’s top surfing locations are Muizenberg, Milnerton Lighthouse, Big Bay, Long Beach, Llundadno and Dungeons.
Muizenberg is considered the birthplace of surfing in South Africa and is currently home to a large surfing community! If you are a longboarder or beginner, then Muizenberg is definitely the place for you. Shortboarders will also be able to have fun here, but if you’re looking for big, fast waves and superb reef breaks, then go to Dangers, Scarborough, or Kalk Bay. Each spot has its particularity and to make sure you get the most out of each, hire an experienced surfing instructor, who will help you achieve your surfing goals.
There is so much more to Cape Town than just kitesurfing and surfing. You can trek to the highest peaks or hike through the spectacular Table Mountain National Park and Signal Hill for panoramas of the City Bowl.
There’s also a range of trails for mountain bikers of all levels, from Contermanskloof Farm and Jonkershoek to Tokai Forest and Helderberg. The views, lush greenery and vast open space will make you wish you could stay forever.
Talking of panoramas why not enjoy a bird’s eye view of one of the most beautiful cities in the world. From this unique vantage point you’ll get to see all it has to offer. And how you explore it from the air is up to you. You can opt for a paragliding flight off the Lion’s Head or Signal Hill, or skydive from a plane at 10,000ft. That’ll get your heart racing!
For those of you closer to nature can observe the southern right whales, humpback whales and Bryde’s whales from June to November. The best places to see these mysterious creatures are: False Bay, Hermanus and Cape Agulhus. Want something with a bit more adrenaline? Why not go for a shark cage diving excursion to see the magnificent creatures in their natural habitat along the Gansbaii coast in the world famous area of Dyer Island (3 hour’s drive from Cape Town). Cage-diving is definitely the most thrilling of all activities, providing face-to-face encounters with the great white shark.
The African sea life is generally very abundant with a great variety of fish, crustaceans, coral and so much more. However, this is truer still for South Africa and in particular for Cape Town. Snorkelers and scuba divers come from far and wide to explore the subaquatic world, hoping to see a new species or notice something they’ve never seen in any other waters before.
And this is only the tip of the iceberg – there’s so much more to do, see, visit and explore!
- Main LanguageAfrikaansEnglish
- Time zone
- Nearest big cityCape Town
- Sandboarding From iSandboarding lessons near Cape Town
- Zip line From iZip-lining near Cape Town
- Jet Ski From iJet skiing excursion in Cape Town
- Canopy Tour From iCanopy tour near Cape Town
- Paragliding From iParagliding flight from Signal Hill in Cape Town (disab...
- Snorkeling From iSeal snorkeling in Cape Town
- Helicopter From iFull Peninsula Scenic Flight near Cape Town
- Helicopter From iAtlantic Coast Scenic Flight near Cape Town
- Helicopter From iTwo Oceans Scenic Flight above Cape Town
- Paragliding From iBasic paragliding licence course in Cape Town
- Paragliding From iParagliding intro course in Cape Town
- Kitesurfing From iSemi-private kitesurfing courses in Cape Town
- Kitesurfing From iKitesurfing lessons, Cape Town
- Hot air balloon From iHot air balloon flight over Cape Town
- Paragliding From iTandem paragliding near Table Mountain in Cape Town
- Rock climbing From iRock climbing up Table Mountain
- Rock climbing From iRock climbing excursions near Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursions to Table Mountain
- Kitesurfing From iWave kitesurfing course in Cape Town
- Kitesurfing From iKitesurfing course in Cape Town
- Stand up Paddle From iStand up paddle excursion in Cape Town
- Kitesurfing From iKitesurfing lessons in Cape Town
- Paragliding From iTandem paragliding flight from Lion's Head in Cape Town
- Rock climbing From iRock climbing excursions in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion on India Venster in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion on Platteklip Gorge in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion on Kloof Corner Ridge in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion on Kasteels Poort in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion on Skeleton Gorge in Cape Town
- Crocodile Diving From iCrocodile cage diving in Cape Town
- Canyoning From iThe Eye Canyon in Cape Town
- Canyoning From iSuicide Gorge Canyon in Cape Town
- Canyoning From iSmalbaar Canyon in Cape Town
- Canyoning From iSluicegates Canyon in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursions up Table Mountain, Lion's Head & Devi...
- Safari From i3 Day safari tour from Cape Town
- Safari From i2 Day safari tour from Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Skeleton Gorge in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Paarl Mountain Reserve in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Platteklip Route in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Devil's Peak in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Lion's Head in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Kasteelspoort in Cape Town
- Sandboarding From iSandboarding lesson on the Atlantic Dunes near Cape Tow...
- Safari From i6 Day Cape to Addo safari tour
- Safari From i5 Day Cape to Addo safari tour
- Safari From i4 Day Cape to Addo safari tour
- Mountain bike From iDownhill scooter trails on Table Mountain
- Surfing From iSurf 'n stay package in Cape Town (7d)
- Surfing From iSurfing lesson, Cape Town
- Safari From i6 Day Cape Town to Addo safari tour
- Safari From iUltimate 4 day Garden Route tour
- Mountain bike From iTokai Forest mountain biking excursion
- Mountain bike From iCity and beach mountain biking excursion
- Mountain bike From iMountain bike rentals in Cape Town
- Mountain bike From iDouble mountain biking descent on Table Mountain
- Stand up Paddle From iStand up paddle lesson in Cape Town
- Snorkeling From iSnorkelling with seals in Cape Town
- Sea Kayaking From iSea kayaking excursion near Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion on Table Mountain
- Skydiving From iTandem skydive from 10,000 ft in Cape Town
- Paragliding From iTandem paragliding flight (Cape Town)
- Quad biking From iQuad biking excursion in the Atlantis Dunes Nature Rese...
- Surfing From iSurfing lesson in Cape Town
- Sandboarding From iSandboarding lesson on the Atlantis Dunes, Cape Town
- Surfing From iSurfing lesson in Muizenberg Bay near Cape Town
- Skydiving From iTandem skydive from 9000 ft near Cape Town
- Abseiling From iAbseiling down Table Mountain
- Jet boat From iPower boating excursion in Cape Town
- Microlight flying From iHelicopter microlight tour over Cape Town
- Quad biking From iQuad biking excursion in Melkbosstrand
- Paragliding From iTandem paragliding flight above Cape Town
- Sandboarding From iSandboarding lessons in Cape Town
- Paragliding From iTandem paragliding flight from Signal Hill, Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iPADI Open Water course in Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iPADI Discover Scuba Diving course in Cape Town
- Shark diving From iScuba diving with blue sharks in Cape Town
- Shark diving From iScuba diving with cow sharks in Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iScuba diving with seals in Cape Town
- Snorkeling From iSeal snorkelling excursion in Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iWreck diving in Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iCave diving in Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iReef diving in Cape Town
- Safari From i5D/4N Garden Route and Addo tour from Cape Town
- Safari From i3D/2N Garden Route tour and safari from Cape Town
- Safari From i2D/1N Wildlife safari tour from Cape Town
- Paragliding From iTandem paragliding flight from Signal Hill in Cape Town
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursions on Table Mountain
- Scuba Diving From iPrivate Discover scuba diving in Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iPrivate Guided Nudibranch Hunting in Cape Town
- Scuba Diving From iPrivate Open Water scuba diving course in Cape Town
Breath taking views
One of the most scenic places you will ever witness in your entire life.
Not as high as wanted
Was amazing, nice view, great flight
The tandem guy called it off. HGe said because of the weather and I believe him totally
Great Spot! Waves were just right. Hardly any rocks.
Amazing view over Cape Town
Breathtakingly beautiful, remember to stop and take in the view when you're away from the crowds. Enjoy the serenity!
Nice spot, good weather.
Great spot, perfect conditions, awesome views
Absolutely beautiful! With the most amazing sunset and table mountain as your back drop. It’s like something out of an expensive painting
The surfing spot is great and I will come back for sure!!
Signal hill .... easy to get to with great views across CT.
Scenery was stunning, nothing beats the view of sea point's ocean from the mountains
CT is great
Out of this word!
Breathtaking view from 3000 meter above ground
Très bonne façon de découvrir la Table Mountain au Cap.
Amazing spot, great view on the tabke mountain, the sea and beaches! Just breath takingly beautiful!
The spot was great with surfers everywhere