Known as the European Capital of Surf, Biarritz is a Basque-French city located in the southwest of France next to the Spanish border is famous for beaches, high waves and spectacular scenery. Riders across the world fly in to experience the historical surfing spot.
However, Biarritz didn’t become a surfing mecca until September 1959 when Waikiki Surf Club was created, opening the floodgates and attracting surf fans from around the globe. In 1960 the city hosted the first ever surfing competition, French Surfing Championship that still runs until today and has increased in popularity year after year.
Today the idyllic surfing scene hosts the annual competitions: Quiksilver/Roxy Jam tournament. As well as hosting the Roxy Pro event part of the ASP Women's World Tour back in 2011.
During the summer temperatures rise up to 25°C and descend to 8 °C in winter, making it possible to surf in its waters all year round.
Biarritz has 6 stunning beaches where you can windsurf, kitesurf kayak and canoe. However the 2 beaches that you simply must visit are Côte des Basques Beach, the main and central beach of the town, called by the locals like Crazy Beach or the Empress Beach. And, the Grand Plage, known as the cradle of surfing, where you’ll not only enjoy surfing but also the superb views of the Spanish coast cliffs and mountains.
The best months to catch some waves in the emblematic beaches are from October to April, where the swell size is about 8ft and wind goes from 18kph to 15kph.
- Time zone
- Surfing From iSurfing lessons and courses in Biarritz
- Surfing From iSurf camp ados de 7J/6N sur la Côte Basque
- Surfing From iSurf coaching in Biarritz with pro surfer Emmanuelle Jo...
- Sea Kayaking From iCanoe surfing near Biarritz
- Sea Kayaking From iSea kayaking excursions near Biarritz
- Rafting From iKayak rafting down River Nive near Biarritz
- Rafting From iCanoe rafting down Nive River near Biarritz
- Rafting From iRafting down the Nive River near Biarritz
- Kayaking From iCanoeing down the Nive River near Biarritz
- Hydrospeed From iDescente en Hydrospeed de la Nive près de Biarritz
- Kayaking From iKayaking down Nive River near Biarritz
- Rafting From iRafting en eaux vives sur la Nive pres de Biarritz
Très bon spot autant pour confirmé que débutant
Excellent parcours, en plus, c'est beau
Bien situé, facile d'accès du centre ville :)
Nature très belle
A faire plutot avec beau temps. Présence de vautours au dessus nos têtes. .
Belles vagues et longue distance parcourable à pieds
Spot magnifique, très bel endroit et accès facile.