Kalamata is one of the top destinations in Peloponese in Greece famous for the beautiful beaches and the rocky mountains. All kind of watersports activities can be found in Kalamata and practiced in the blue waters of the lagoon.
The landscapes surrounding the city are famous for their olive groves that stretches as far as the eye can see. The high quality black olives can produce up to 45 000 tons of olive oil and the region even received the PDO certification.
Kalamata was built at the foot of the majestic Taygetus mountain range, with peaks up to 2 400 metres. Nature lovers will enjoy discovering the beautiful landscapes of the Messenia region on the several hiking trails available.
The city benefits from a wonderful fine sandy beach where you can practice several water sports. It extends over 5 km from Verga to the port of Kalamata. You will never get bored thanks to the numerous beach bars and restaurants that bring the seaside to life.
Sailing, sea kayaking, scuba diving and snorkeling are among the numerous nautical sports that you can do in the Messenian Gulf.
One of the most popular outdoor activity in Kalamata is freediving. Freediving Club Greece is a school providing courses for all AIDA levels. Learn how to control your breath and explore the underwater world with a simply breath!
Kalamata is a vibrant city that provides a plethora of outdoor sports and activities!
- Main LanguageGreek
- Time zone
- Nearest big citySparta
- Hiking / Trekking From iMulti-Day Hiking on Menalo Trail in Arcadia near Kalama...
- Hiking / Trekking From iMulti-Day Hiking & Rock Climbing Trip around Kalamata
- Stand up Paddle From iSUP and snorkeling excursion near Kalamata
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion above Kalamata
- Canyoning From iRiver hiking in Neda, Kalamata
- Rafting From iRafting excursion in Lousios river
- Sea Kayaking From iSea Kayak tour in Methoni
- Sea Kayaking From iSea Kayak tour in Kardamili and Stoupa, Messinia
- Sea Kayaking From iSea Kayak tour in Navarino Bay, Messinia
- Sea Kayaking From iSea Kayak tour in Kalamata
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking session in Taygetos
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking session in Ridomo gorge, Kalamata
- Rock climbing From iRock climbing session in Lagada, Kalamata
- Rock climbing From iIntroduction to rock climbing in Kardamili, Kalamata
- Freediving From iAIDA 4* Master Freediver course in Kalamata
- Freediving From iAIDA 3* Advance Freediver course in Kalamata
- Freediving From iIntroduction to freediving course in Kalamata
- Freediving From iAIDA 2* Open Water Freediver course in Kalamata
Very beautiful spot. A little remote, but made it even more beautiful.
Beautiful area which included 2 amazing caves we were able to visit and explore
This West Kayak was interesting and the Groto/beach lunch was great.