Castelnuovo di garfagnana
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana is a picturesque town and commune in the province of Lucca in Tuscany, central Italy. It is located in a particular area: the Garfagnana valley that is crossed by the Serchio and Turrite Secca rivers among the Apennine Mountains and the Apuan Alps.
In fact Garfagnana is characterised by lush green valleys and the mountains of the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines National Park in the east and the Apuan Alps in the west. The territory offers incredible natural scenery mixed with charming villages to practice outdoor activities: hiking, mountain biking, canyoning and caving during the summer and snowshoeing during the winter.
The most renowned trekking trails in the area are the one from Castelnuovo Garfagnana to Barga, from the Wind Cave to the legendary Devil’s Bridge (an incredible rock formation) and the ghost town of Vagli di Sotto.
Other highlights of the area are the caving excursion in the Streaming Cave, the Orrido di Botri Canyon and the Rio Selvano Canyon and many more: you will surprised but how much Garfagna has to offer!
- Main LanguageItalian
- Time zone
- Canyoning From iRio Selvano canyon in Tuscany
- Canyoning From iRio Buti canyon near Florence
- Canyoning From iTorrente Serra canyon of near Florence
- Canyoning From iRio Selvano canyon near Florence
- Snowshoeing From iSnowshoeing excursion near Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Mountain bike From iDownhill MTB near Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking Peak Sunset in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Caving From iExcursion in the cave of the Screaming Nest near Castel...
- Canyoning From iCanyon Orrido di Botri in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Canyoning From iCanyon Rio Selvano in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
Stunning. We had whole canyon to ourselves
Nice environment, I understand why they call it 'the green canyon'
Beautiful part of the Italian Alps near Pisa and Cinque Terre. Both the drive up to the staging site and the trek through the river were very scenic.
Spectacular. It was difficult to find the meeting place from the GPS but that was the only problem.
Beautiful! Especially the start in San Pelegríno and the lower sections.
The canyon didn't have much water in it this year due to the very high temperatures, but the scenery was so beautiful. We were still able to do lots of jumps into the pools and we managed to spot quite a few tadpoles, frogs and fish on the way down!