As the second largest city in Portugal, Porto is located up north next to the estuary of the Duero River. The coastal city is an emblem of elegant neighbourhoods and stately villas within the charming little streets that UNESCO has declared a World Heritage Site.
The historic city is also known amongst extreme sports junkies due to its idyllic location. The practice of surf is one of the top water activities due to the consistent swell all year round in the north-west coast & the famous Espinho wave, a long and barrelling right-breaker. Also, because there are a lot of beaches that remain unknown to tourists you can head up and enjoy of the elusive spaces and really focus on surfing.
Surfing is indeed one of the most popular outdoor activity due to the waves that keep breaking across the north-eastern shoreline all year round. It is not only a sport, it is also a real community who is ready to welcome each new member passing by one of the numerous surfcamps.
For example, Surfin Monkey surfcamp provides surf holidays for those who seek an awesome surfing experience and those who want to learn how to surf. The camp is located northwest of Porto on Matosinhos beach, which is considered the best in Europe for surfing. The beach is medium sized, sandy with lots of space and consistent waves. The swell size starts working at 1 meter and holds up to 2.5 meters.
Kitesurfing is also a very popular sport in Porto and its surroundings. Only 30 min north from the city, the small town of Esposende is a peaceful place where the Cávado river meets the Atlantic. Here, the flat waters protected by the dunes in the river mouth are ideal for beginners and freestylers. Kitesurf clubs will provide you all the necessary equipment: the board, the kite, the harness, the bar and of course the kitesurfer outfit!
Although surfers and kitesurfers come to try out the rad waves, there are also more activities to choose from. One of the renowned spots is Peneda-Gerês National Park, discover the countless canyons in the area or kayak in the hidden streams around the park.
Porto is a city to discover on foot, come to unveil its most outstanding corner and mix it up with adrenaline-charged activities.
- Main LanguagePortuguese
- Time zone
- Surfing From iSurfing lessons in Matosinhos near Porto
- Canyoning From iCanyon of Rio de Frades near Porto
- Stand up Paddle From iStand up paddle lessons on Douro River, Porto
- Surfing From iSurf lessons and courses on Matosinhos Beach, Porto
- Surfing From iSurf lessons on Matosinhos Beach, Porto
- Surfing From iSurf camp on Matosinhos Beach, Porto
- Canyoning From iCanyoning in Peneda-Gerês National Park from Porto
- Stand up Paddle From iStand up paddling excursion on Douro River, Porto
- Hiking / Trekking From iGerês hiking tour in Peneda-Gerês National Park from Po...
- Skydiving From iTandem skydive near Porto, Portugal
- Canyoning From iRio Vouga Canyon near Porto
- Rafting From iRafting down the Paiva River, near Porto
- Surfing From iSurfing lessons in Matosinhos, Porto
- Surfing From i7 Days surf camp in Matosinhos, Porto
- Surfing From iBeginner Surf camp in Porto
- Canyoning From iExtreme canyoning excursion near Porto
- Canyoning From iCanyoning excursion near Porto
- Surfing From iSurf camp in Matosinhos, Porto
- Windsurfing From iPrivate windsurfing lessons and courses in Matosinhos,...
- Stand up Paddle From iPrivate SUP lessons and courses in Matosinhos, Porto
- Surfing From iBeginner group surfing lessons and courses in Matosinho...
- Surfing From iPrivate surfing lessons in Matosinhos, Porto
- Surfing From iCatamaran surf safari tour in Portugal
- Surfing From iBeginner Surf lesson in Porto
- Surfing From iSurfing lessons in Porto
Magnifique et dépaysant qui permet de voir un paysage différent de Porto et ses alentours
Beautiful, exciting. The water is so pure and fresh you ignore the temperature. We spent a good time in the village, it is actually amazing and interesting. Hope they really keep up the old village life and younger people find their way back. The lunch in the only restaurant in the village was also very good with nice views.
Très bon lieu
nice spot, very windy, but you can't change the weather.
Windy, as it should be and easy to catch a sunburn
There is a bit of walking from the store to the beach.
De bonne vague
Très bien, merci aux profs qui ont très bien encadré l'activité.
There were very small waves
The spots we visited were really amazing. It’s was like it came out of a movie or a picture.
Magnifique....exactement ce à quoi je m attendais. Une communion avec la nature.
Beautiful beach not just to surf but to hang out as well.
The beach was a little bit crowded, but in the water it didn’t matter. And if there were people that didn’t come to surf, then the instructor ask them to go to another part of the sea because of the lessons.
Bien pour apprendre, après c"est pas le plus beau spot du Portugal
Super vue sur les collines autour de Braga et la mer....
Ideal pour debuter
Joli spot à proximité de la ville et possibilité de rentrer à pied dans le centre ville en longeant la mer et le douro
Sur 5 jours d'affilés, une seul jours a été "sans" vagues, il y en avait quelques unes. Mais sinon y'a de quoi se faire plaisir et apprendre !
Great spot adapted for all level
Matosinhos est une plage avec de belles vagues. Idéal pour surfer.
Manque de vagues mais correct pour 1ère fois
beautiful area, but watch out: the river is cold!!!
Canyon étonnant aux reliefs diversifiés et aux nombreux point de sauts et de cascades. C'est un parcours à la fois accessible à tous mais qui ravira aussi les plus expérimentés.
Quite narrow area to surf, otherwise good for beginners
Nice place to visit.
Parfait pour débuter !
Pineda-Geres National Park was amazing. Beautiful views, clear water, fresh air.