Located on the east coast of Sicily, between the cities of Messina and Catania, Mount Etna is the tallest active volcano in Europe. It is also the highest peak in Italy south of the Alps.
Mount Etna is one of the most active volcanoes in the world and is in an almost constant state of activity. The panoramas from Parco dell Etna (the national park) where the volcano is situated, are incomparable with anything you’ve ever experienced. You’ll get to see the stunning landscapes located around Mount Etna, almost giving you a privileged bird’s eye view of what the area has to offer.
The fertile volcanic soils support extensive agriculture, with vineyards and orchards spread across the lower slopes of the mountain, making it ideal for hiking and trekking excursions. Your guide will take you out to explore the hidden areas, only accessible on foot and will also share stories and anecdotes about the local culture and history.
The most popular route is via the road that leads to Sapienza Refuge ski area. It lies at the south of the crater at an elevation of 1910 metres. From the refuge, a cableway runs uphill to an elevation of 2500 metres, from where the crater area at 2920 metre is accessible. Discover Monti Silvestri Craters, two small yet impressive craters.
In June 2013, it was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Now all that’s left is for you to visit the volcano and explore the arid environment for yourself.
- Main LanguageItalian
- Time zone
- Nearest big cityCatane
- Quad biking From iMountain biking excursions in Mount Etna
- Hiking / Trekking From iEtna up and down trekking tour
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking trip to Mount Etna and the Alcantara Gorges
- Mountain bike From iAdvanced mountain biking excursion near Mount Etna
- Mountain bike From iIntermediate mountain biking excursion near Mount Etna
- Mountain bike From iBeginner mountain biking excursion near Mount Etna
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Mt. Etna, Sicily
- Quad biking From iQuad biking excursions near Mount Etna in Sicily
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Mount Etna in Sicily
- Helicopter tours From iPrivate Helicopter flight over Mt. Etna and Taormina
- Caving From iCaving excursion in Grotta dei Tre Livelli on Mount Etn...
- Hiking / Trekking From iHiking excursion up Mount Etna