Franz josef glacier
The small town of Franz Josef is located on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island. The region is renowned for its spectacular Franz Josef Glacier, a World Heritage area.
While you are in Franz Josef, you can make your way to the bottom of the glacier on foot, or join a guided ice-walk or heli-hike tour. Thanks to fairly mild temperatures in winter, Franz Josef Glacier is open all year round.
Visiting the area in winter (between June and August) is a great idea as you're likely to avoid the crowds. If you are planning a trip to Franz Josef in summer, you will be able to ice-climb the glacier in a t-shirt due to the lovely temperature (between 12°C and 25°C).
In close proximity to Franz Josef, you will find a range of outdoor activities including quad biking in spectacular mountain backdrops and the dense rainforest, horse riding on the nearby tracks, kayaking or stand up paddle boarding on Lake Mapourika or rafting the Whataroa and Perth Rivers just north of Franz Josef.
Adventurers looking for an exhilarating experience can tandem skydive from 19,000 feet, in one of the most scenic parts of New Zealand. Only a very few places in the world offers jumps from such a height!
After an intense day of outdoor activities, don't forget to head for a soak at one of the village hot pools - your body will thank you for it!
- Main LanguageEnglish
- Time zone
- Nearest big cityHokitika
- Helicopter tours From iHelicopter Tour & Ice Climbing on Franz Josef Glacier
- Rafting From iWhitewater rafting near Franz Josef Glacier
- Hiking / Trekking From iGlacier Valley Hike in the Waiho River near Franz Josef...
- Helicopter tours From iGlacier Heli Hike in Franz Josef Glacier + Hot Pools En...
- Kayaking From iGuided kayak and hike excursion to Okarito Kiwi Sanctua...
- Kayaking From iKayaking excursion on Lake Mapourika near Franz Josef G...
- Helicopter tours From iMount Cook scenic heli flight with glacier landing
- Helicopter tours From iFox & Franz Josef Twin Glacier scenic heli flight with...
- Helicopter tours From iFranz Josef Glacier heli flight with snow landing
- Helicopter tours From iScenic helicopter flight from Fox Glacier
- Helicopter tours From iTwin Glacier helicopter flight from Franz Josef Glacier
- Helicopter tours From iMountain Scenic helicopter flight from Franz Josef Glac...
- Helicopter tours From iFranz Josef Glacier heli hiking excursion
- Skydiving From iTandem skydive over Franz Josef Glacier
- Quad biking From iQuad biking near Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
A return trip to Franz Josef for me. Beautiful scenery.
Location couldn’t have been bettter. So much to take in it was mind blowing!
The best spot to do a skydive, can see the Tasman sea, the glacier and the pretty lakes
It was a beautiful day and I got to see the glaciers in a whole different light.