Hiking up Mount Etna, Europe's most active volcano, and then exploring the Alcantara Gorges is the only way you can really get to experience Sicily!
Mount Etna has a thousand nuances. Contrary to popular belief, autumn is the best time to visit the majestic mountain, yet experiencing it any time of the year is incredible. The bright and intense colors of the landscapes and the shades of the wooded mantles that cover it offer irresistible landscapes for nature and photography lovers.
The unexpected alpine landscape and the variety of micro-ecosystems along the volcano is surprising! Mount Etna is not just only volcanic craters, but also woods with pines, chestnuts, and centuries-old oaks! This amazing hiking excursion will allow you to discover majestic volcanic craters of great naturalistic interest, such as the Sartorius Craters formed in 1865, Crateri Silvestri at an altitude of about 1,900 m. formed by the eruption of 1892, and the Bottoniera which was formed by the eruption of Etna in 2002, considered one of the most explosive of the last 100 years.
Exploring the Etna will take the better part of the morning, so after having lunch and enjoying a good coffee, you'll head on to the Alcantara Gorges. This amazing natural park has breathtaking views and its main characteristic is an imposing basalt gorge that has been carved after many years of erosion of the river.
Also, along the way, you'll have the chance of discovering ancient Sicilian villages including Castiglione di Sicilia, famous for its vineyards from which Etna DOC is produced.
- 8:30 am to 9:00 pm pick up in your accommodation. Schedule to be agreed with the guide.
- The excursion begins on board a 4x4 jeep. Along the route that will take you on the north side of Etna, an expert guide will explain the stories and legends of the Etnei villages and of the volcano.
- You'll reach the peaks of Mareneve, the protected area of the Etna Park, the destroyed skiing slopes of Piano Provenzana and a large part of the Ragabo Pineta.
- There will be a lunch stop in the Chalet Clan dei Ragazzi that includes: bruschetta, main dish, and drink (water, wine or beer) at a cost of € 10.00 per person
- After having lunch and enjoying a good coffee, you'll head to the Alcantara Gorges.
- At 5:30 pm. approx. you'll return to the hotel.
All participants must be in good health. Minors must have authorization from their parents.