Description de l'activité
The canoeing trail operates above the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe on the stretch of the Zambezi River, between Siansimba Islands and the National Park entrance, running along the banks of the Zambezi National Park.
This section of the river is quite unlike the better-known section below Lake Kariba. The Upper Zambezi has numerous heavily wooded islands, which are dissected by channels that may be several kilometres in length and vary in width from one to twenty metres. The vegetation predominately consists of ebonies, waterberries, palms and a tremendous variety of acacia and albizia. The rapids are small and at their peak are only classed as grade two, which is the second easiest grade.
The canoe trail passes along the banks of the Zambezi National Park, where clients have a good opportunity of viewing various species of animals, such as elephants, buffaloes, impala, kudu, hippo, crocodile etc. The birdlife is prolific with at least 50 common species of bird that can be seen from your canoe.
The Upper Zambezi River is regarded as free flow, as a dam cannot control the water flow and as such the water is subject to seasonal variation. Floods begin in November and normally peak in April/May. Therefore, throughout the season the route varies as new channels open with the rise in water level.
Pick up from Vic Falls accommodation:
Between 6:45am - 7:00am
Drop off at Vic Falls accommodation:
Between 2:00pm - 2:30pm
Turnaround outing duration is approx 7 hours.
The canoeing trail operates above the Victoria Falls on the 15km stretch of the Zambezi River between Chundu and the Mine Fields take out point, next to the National Park entrance, running along the banks of the Zambezi National Park.
- You will be picked up from lodging and transferred to Adventure Lodge for check in.
- You'll be able to enjoy a game drive from the National Park's entrance (approximately 40 minutes) to the canoe start point, which is upriver at the Chundu campsite.
- On arrival you're given a safety talk by a professional river guide.
- During the safety briefing, you will be served a light breakfast, with tea and coffee. You'll then practise your paddling skills before setting off on your canoe safari.
- Please note that you will paddle yourself down the river, following your professional canoe guide, who will lead you down the various channels of the Zambezi river.
- You'll then canoe the channels of the Zambezi river, exploring and discovering the diverse fauna, flora, birdlife and wildlife in this area.
- Lunch is served on the banks of the Zambezi and consists of cold meats, rolls, salad and orange juice.
- The excursion ends at the Mine fields take out point. You'll be transferred back to your respective lodging by 2:30pm (approximately 10 minutes to Vic Falls Hotels).