- Sport levelBeginner
- Spoken languagesEnglish
- Duration1 half day
- Opening seasons:
The canoeing trail operates above the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe on the stretch of the Zambezi River, between Siansimba Islands and the National Park entrance, running along the banks of the Zambezi National Park.
This section of the river is quite unlike the better-known section below Lake Kariba. The Upper Zambezi has numerous heavily wooded islands, which are dissected by channels that may be several kilometres in length and vary in width from one to twenty metres. The vegetation predominately consists of ebonies, waterberries, palms and a tremendous variety of acacia and albizia. The rapids are small and at their peak are only classed as grade two, which is the second easiest grade.
The canoe trail passes along the banks of the Zambezi National Park, where clients have a good opportunity of viewing various species of animals, such as elephants, buffaloes, impala, kudu, hippo, crocodile etc. The birdlife is prolific with at least 50 common species of bird that can be seen from your canoe.
The Upper Zambezi River is regarded as free flow, as a dam cannot control the water flow and as such the water is subject to seasonal variation. Floods begin in November and normally peak in April/May. Therefore, throughout the season the route varies as new channels open with the rise in water level.
→ You are automatically reimbursed for the full activity price
2) Cancellation between 4 and 10 days prior to the agreed activity starting date
→ You are entitled to a 50% reimbursement
3) 4 days or later, prior to the agreed activity starting date, is considered last-minute cancellations
→ No reimbursements will be effected
Morning canoe float:
Pick up from Vic Falls accommodation: Between 10:00am - 10:30am
Drop off at Vic Falls accommodation: Between 12:30pm - 1:00pm
Afternoon canoe float:
Pick up from Vic Falls accommodation: Between 4:00pm - 4:30pm
Drop off at Vic Falls accommodation: Between 6:30 - 7:00pm
The canoe float operates above the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe on the stretch of the Zambezi River between the Mine Fields and the Big Tree take out point, running along the banks of the Zambezi National Park.
- You will be picked up from your lodging and transferred to the Adventure Lodge for check in.
- You'll enjoy a short game drive from The Adventure Lodge (approximately 15 minutes) to the canoe start point, which is upriver at the Minefields put in.
- On arrival you'll be given a safety talk by a professional river guide.
- You'll then practise your paddling skills before setting off on their canoe and raft float.
- You'll be offered soft drinks and water during the canoe float.
- You'll spend anywhere up to 1.5 hours on the water (water level dependant).
- You'll savour a light lunch consisting of cold meat, rolls and salad on an island.
- During lunch on the island you'll be served wines and beers.
- You'll be transferred from the take out point back to your respective lodging.
- Dry bags for cameras and valuables
- Inflatable crocodile canoes
- Double sided paddles
- X-treme high flotation life jackets
- Lunch and some drinks
- Light breakfast
- 16 foot inflatable rafts
- Park fees: 10$ pp
- Shorts and t-shirt
- Closed shoes
- Sunscreen and a wide brimmed hat
- Visa, if you need to cross the border