Kayaking in Stockholm; nature from a different angle! Leave the city behind you while you explore the archipelago and the Baltic Sea by kayak!
Paddle into a far stretched world that exists of 30.000 islands. During this adventure you will experience beautiful scenery firsthand in one of Europe’s most unique environment, and will have a blast trying a new activity with friends as well!
Day program: This is an example tour
Your guide customizes the day according to the weather and skill of the group.
You'll paddle out into the archipelago and its stunning surroundings. In this area there are birds almost everywhere you look and it's also the best place to spot sea eagles. You'll might paddle past a fortress, or even past the ‘ghost islands’ where your guide will explain how a single bird species has been able to extinct entire islands. You'll find your own private island for the day’s lunch and enjoy the sun and the scenery, and maybe even spend half an hour at the beach. Later you'll continue paddling through many small islands, a beautiful but especially relaxing environment. You'll tie up the kayaks, and bring out the coffee and cookies! Completely covered from the wind you'll simply float along with the stream, enjoying tea time. All good things come to an end so finally you'll finish the trip and conclude at the starting point where you put away the kayaks.
Kayaking in Stockholm: what to see?
Environment: The number and variety of islands make this area as special as it is. You’ll paddle past huge forest covered islands, high cliffs towering out from the water, and bare granite sketches just rising above sea level. It’s as if a giant had left a trail of huge pebbles.
Wildlife: White tailed eagles are regularly spotted! This area is also very rich in other bird life. Wild swans, geese, eider, loons, arctic terns, great cormorants, are all among regularly seen birds. Seals are also seen.
Apart from experiencing the amazing area and simply enjoying hiking in Sweden you'll take time to learn about:Itinerary
- Basic bush craft
- Basic orienteering
- Benefits of lightweight hiking and backpacking
- Hints on hiking and backpacking, i.e. how to pack, what to bring etc.
- Sweden, with main focus nature and outdoor life
- Plants and wild foods
- Wild life in Sweden
- Meet each other and your guide at the meeting pointSpecial terms
- Take some time for an introduction to your fellow travelers and talk about the day program
- Drive out to the archipelago
- Upon arrival you'll be handed out equipment
- Continue with an introduction to the kayaks and the technique
- Get into the water and onto the tour!
- Pick out a nice private island lunch and enjoy lunch
- With regained energy we continue exploring the islands
- Towards the end of the day we arrive back at starting location
- Take off the gear and put back the kayaks
- Drop off at the meeting point
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior kayaking experience is required.
- Not suitable for neither children below 12 when sharing a double with an adult supervisor or below 16 using a single kayak on a scheduled departure.